Educational Visit to Guru Nanak Sadh Sangat Charitable Hospital, Kalra
A visit to hospital laboratories is the essential component of curriculum of B.Sc Medical Laboratory Sciences. With the objective of exposure based learning, the department of Life Sciences & Allied Health Sciences organized educational visit to the Guru Nanak Sadh Sangat Charitable Hospital, Kalra on 23rd September 2021.
Following are the highlights of the visit:
- About 35 students of B.Sc MLS, semester -1 visited the hospital. Two faculty members Dr Shweta Singh and Dr Aksh Sharma headed the visit.
- The students departed from university campus at 11:00 AM and reached hospital about 11:30 AM.
- In the hospital, all students were firstly informed about the instrumentation and tests performed in the laboratories by the hospital supervisor, Mr Yadvinder Singh
- The students were divided into batches of 12 each and then visited all the clinical laboratories associated with the hospital.
- Under the supervision of Lab Instructor, students also got a chance to have hands on practice on fully automated biochemistry analyzer and blood analyzer used for routine clinical investigations.
- In microbiology lab, the students learned about various types of culture media and their preparations, culture methods and sterilization of laboratory wares.
- They also learned about methods of segregation and disposal of biomedical wastes into various coloured bins.
- They also got exposure to functioning of the X-ray laboratory where they were told about the relevance of imaging technologies to the diagnosis, procedural details and safety guidelines.
- The students also visited the General ward, Emergency ward and OPD area where the interacted with the patients sitting over there.
Overall the visit was very knowledgeable and inspiring.